After having watched a documentary about added sugars and
being made aware of the actual content of everything that is in our food my
flatmate and I have decided to stop eating any form of added sugar for a month.
The decision was made not so much out of health or lifestyle reasons, but
rather natural curiosity of what might happen to our bodies and our minds as we
ban this rather addictive substance from our diets almost entirely. Apparently,
headaches, moodiness and overall feeling of weakness are common symptoms in the
first couple of days of parting with the glory that is sugar. In other words, a
proper withdrawal. For our challenge, foods with natural occurring sugars, such
as fruits and vegetables will be our only source of sugar, and any foods with
added sugars are a no-go for an entire month. Initially, neither of us were
entirely sure what we were about to give up, and how strongly we would feel
about giving it all up. It seems almost that everything we put in our mouth
contains some form of sugar. It is thus no wonder that the average person
consumes 5 times (!) the daily recommended those of sugar every day, mostly in
added sugars. We are usually blissfully unaware of the sugars in our food, as
sugar goes by many pseudonyms and euphemisms. There are more than 50 different
names for added sugars in our foods, so it is not wonder that when we look at
the ingredients list of our food, we are unable to identify the added sugars. A
few of these names are glucose, fructose, dextrose (anything –ose), fruit
syrup, and so on. Sugar is addictive, and the food industry is well aware of
this fact and gladly takes advantage of it. More and more sugar is added, so
that we would come back and buy the same brand again to satisfy our cravings
for the heavenly substance. Many food items are essentially in a sugar bidding
war to see who can get away with the most sugar in their foods.
Our challenge starting in one day, my flatmate and I went
shopping for sugarless foods. I can tell you, shopping has never been such an
intense task. Turning over every single package to see the contents of it,
which was usually paired with a major sense of disappointment as there was
always some form of sugar in the food. Most surprisingly things we consider
fresh and unprocessed, such as meat, may actually contain added sugars! I was
surprised to find out that things such as ham and salami contain a vast amount
of added sugars. Never have we ever spent so much time in the fresh fruit and
vegetable isle, our carts filled with fruits and vegetables of all kinds.
Shopping in the fruits and veg isle was an easy task, as nothing contained
added sugars. The rest of the store was our battlefield, and we were determined
to win the war. My fridge now stuffed with all kinds of foods (some of which surprisingly
containing no sugar!) I think I can say we have indeed won the shopping war.
Items that we will be able to eat include the following:
-
Fruits and vegetables of all kinds
- Cheese
- Bacon
- Fresh meat (some contain added sugar, some don’t)
- Fresh fish
- Whole wheat pasta
- Rice
- Rice noodles
The biggest challenge of all, may be breakfast. As
everything that I would normally consider for breakfast is now off limits.
(Read: sugar free breakfast recommendations welcome!)
I will probably miss sugar the most in its social form. Going
out to dinner with friends will be virtually impossible, as nearly everything
that is a served will contain sugar of some form somehow. For now, I have
tonight left to satisfy my sugary cravings, before I will try my hardest to
keep them at bay.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten